Animal Facility - BioInn
The Biomedical Innovation Animal Facility belongs to the Madrid's Community LAboratory Network. The objective of this laboratory (Registration No. ES280790000183) is to obtain a farm of healthy non-variable animals so that the effects of the different experiments are caused by it and not by another variable. For this, the animals are distributed in different areas:
- Breeding area. It is where the families of mice (made up of two females and one male) and the mice used to procreate are found. All are classified according to their characteristics and their use. The cages have a pressurized air inlet under certain conditions and it is extracted cyclically.
- Adult animals area. In this case, the animals are grouped in cages similar to the previous ones according to the strains, colors and types.
- Irradiated animals room. They are animals that have been irradiated for experimentation.
- Immunodeficient animal room. It is the area where totally immunodeficient mice are found and that accept cells from any type of mouse or human because their defense system does not exist.
- Naked mice room. It is the area where there is a specific type of mouse that does not have hair, used for skin studies.
- Transgenic animals room. It is the area of transgenic animals breeding and study where combined strains are studied to see the response of animals to carcinogenesis. These animals are the most sensitive as they are, at the same time, transgenic and immunodeficient.
- Study area. Depending on the experiment to which it is subjected and the type of mouse, the mice under study are placed in certain rooms.
In addition, this laboratory is authorized for the confined use of type II genetically modified organisms, being able to generate transgenic mice by microinjection, irradiation of animals and their samples (X-rays), diagnostic imaging (PET, CT, labeled molecules), cryopreservation and rederivation of mouse lines, and clinical pathology of various species.
All the experimental procedures carried out in the animal facility are authorized by the Animal Welfare Committee and approved by the Community of Madrid.
The animal facility is managed by professional experts, distributed as follows: